Well here in San Antonio….it is summer and the heat wave is no joke. Also, we are in the midst of hurricane season. So far so good on that front.
However, I was thinking that what would happened if I lost my entire library? What novels would I choose to start over again?
I would have to choose from novels that I’ve already read and I can choose up to ten. Here are my choices:
1) Winter’s Tale by Mark Helprin (My second favorite novel…but first on the list. Go Figure! This is one of the most beautifully written novels and it shows the power of fantasy and imagination as real literature.)
2) David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (My favorite novel. I would have never thought that in a million years.)
3) The Testament by John Grisham (I had not read a Grisham novel until this one. A great story about redemption and the effects of wealth on a family.)
4) Lost Mission by Athol Dickson (This is a powerful novel about how faith can transform lives in the most unexpected ways. Dickson deserves to mention along with John Irving, Richard Ford, and Richard Russo as one of the best writers in contemporary literary fiction.)
5) Home Is the Sailor by Jorge Amado (The father of modern Brazilian Literature wrote a playful but powerful tale about truth, gossip, and social status. This novel is not well-known but is worth reading.)
6) Islandia by Austin Tappan Wright (In fantasy literature, there is the big two of C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien. However, Wright’s novel deserves to make it a big three. This underground utopian classic is unlike anything I have ever read. And the fact he invented an entire world that was never meant to be published makes it even more fascinating. Also, there are three sequels published by Mark Saxton (Wright’s editor) that add to the richness of the Islandian universe.)
7) Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (A modern classic that deals racism and what is means to be human.)
8) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Another modern classic deals with racism from a southerner’s perspective. I must admit I didn’t think I would like this novel. However, I thought it was a good story and it showed a young girl growing up in a difficult time.
Those are my choices. How about yours?